We are a group of 400 members. Most of our effort is put into our local walking programme. Many members have joined just to support The Ramblers in our efforts to maintain and improve access for walkers, (so we do not get 400 ramblers on a walk!).
As well as arranging regular walks we organise footpath working parties such as building the Twywell steps. Membership benefits include our newsletter and local walk descriptions.. These are in addition to the national benefits such as 'Walk' magazine, which includes walk descriptions throughout the UK.
Walking abroad is handled by and Ramblers' Holidays.
The Northampton Group is one of the local groups within the Northamptonshire Area of The Ramblers (formerly known as "The Ramblers' Association").
See the Links section below for other groups in the area.
Throughout the site Blue text is normally a clickable link.
Most of this website is open for public viewing. However some areas are restricted to members only. These areas are protected by use of a password.
Information on the password can be viewed by clicking on the symbol here or on the appropriate pages.
Protected information includes Newsletters and Minutes of committee meetings and AGMs, and also reproductions of Ordnance Survey maps which are covered by an appropriate licence.
SP xxxxxx are local grid references, which are linked to a mapping site. Click on them.
Please contact the Webmaster if you have problems or questions.
Meeting point at Church Lane.
- Car sharing. On some walks car sharing will be available from Church Lane, Northampton, NN1 3NR. We share car running costs. Meet by the churchyard entrance to Holy Sepulchre Church, Northampton, at the time stated. See map
- Lunch. Bring a packed lunch with you on all day walks unless walk details suggest an alternative.
Pubs that allow us to eat our own sandwiches on their premises do so as a concession, on the understanding that we will be buying drinks. Therefore they do not expect to see flasks etc., even in the garden.
On weekday morning walks, lunch is usually arranged at a pub afterwards. This is of course entirely optional. The idea is to buy a pub meal, so our own food is not an option and permission will not have been sought. Just coming in for a drink is of course welcome. Meals might be pre-ordered before the walk, so allow time for this.
- Non-members are welcome to attend three walks before becoming a member of The Ramblers.
- Safety. Walkers are responsible for their own safety at all times and are requested to act sensibly and abide by any advice, guidance or instructions given by the walk leader. Walkers should not normally walk in advance of the leader and should follow the route taken by the leader.
In the event of an incident, for insurance reasons, no liability for damage or injury should be admitted.
- Special needs. Please contact the leader in advance of going on a walk if you have a disability, health problem or special requirement of which they need to be aware and could give advice as to the suitability of the walk.
- Cancellation. While the walk leader will make every effort to seek to ensure that walks take place as stated in the programme there can be no guarantee that this will be the case. In severe weather walks may be cancelled. If in doubt please contact the leader before leaving home.
- Dogs. Please respect the wishes of the walk leader with regard to dogs and do not take a dog on a walk that states 'No dogs please'.
If the leader is silent or has stated that the walk may be suitable for dogs please contact the leader before the day of the walk to discuss whether there are safety or other issues relating to the walk. It is for the leader to decide whether the dog should be permitted to go on the walk.
All owners taking their dog on a walk should act in accordance with the Dog Walking Code as published here and on the national Ramblers website.
- Starting times. Please note that the starting time quoted means exactly that - the time at which we actually start walking, so please allow time to find a parking spot and get your boots on, etc.
| ||responsible for the website|
| ||responsible for membership|
| ||responsible for Sunday walks.|
| ||Saturday walks organiser|
| ||Midweek walks organiser|
| ||Away-day Co-ordinator|
| ||Area Council Representative|
| ||responsible for newsletters.|
For enquiries about our group please contact the General Secretary.
Check a grid reference
Use this to practice your map reading skills, or find a location from its Ordnance Survey grid reference.
Enter a grid reference in the box below and click 'Show Map'. The location of your grid reference will be shown.
The format you enter should be 2 letters and 6 numbers,
We encourage everybody to report access problems.
Please report obstructions to rights of way such as crops or damaged signage to the approproate highways authority. For Northamptonshire this can be done through the Street Doctor website (Phone No: 03001 261000) which has the facility to show the location on a map and enables the tracking of progress in dealing with the matter raised or by phone 01604 883400 or by post to Northamptonshire Highways, Harborough Road, Brixworth, NN6 9BX.